It’s costly being a disabled person. Scope are running a campaign at the moment highlighting the costs people incur. Visit Scope UK: Extra Costs.
Here is how I saved myself a lot of money this week.
There are many types of costs but I’m looking at products and every day living items in this blog.
Day to day items that you need are often quite expensive and specialised – i.e. they are manufactured as ‘disability’ items.
This blog is about one such item – a system to enable someone to independently drink if they can’t move their arms or legs.
Here is an example of how disabled people like me (and their families) have to be usually quite creative in ‘doing it on the cheap’. It also shows you the mark up of items sold as ‘disability’ products that might be sold elsewhere for the general public.
So how do you reduce the costs of items that you need?
- Be inventive
- Make things yourself – up-cycle.
- Make use of E-bay to source items or parts
- Be prepared to spend many hours of research
- Be creative
- Know someone who’s good at making stuff or putting things together!
Cost of product: Drinkup Travel Lite – £98.00 GBP ex VAT
Items – Clamp for wheelchair, flexible arm, bottle holder, CamelBak Bottle (choice of 2 colours) and bottle adapter (long straw). Also some adaptors, allen keys and clips plus instructions.
My kit – £33.19
I sourced my own items from Amazon one afternoon. Free delivery.
- 1 Flexible arm (this holds the straw near my mouth).
- I had a choice of colour – so a bonus find.
CamelBak Bottle – my choice of size and an array of colours
- Eddy Tritan (which features a loop to tie onto my chair)
CamelBak Trinkadapter (the long straw part).
Total cost of the same items (bar a few ‘ties’ to hold the bottle to my chair) = £33.19
- Saved £64.81
- Wide choice of colours of all parts
- Will benefit my husband having to hold a cup/straw to my lips every time I want a drink in the evening.
- Works well (even when you can’t easily suck or bite to activate the straw)
- Easy to clean and parts are affordable to replace.
- Healthier living.